Diabetes is a condition in which there is too much sugar (glucose) in the blood. Although sugar is needed to provide energy for the body, when in excess, it causes problem.
Excess sugar level is due to
- either because insulin production is inadequate
- or because the body’s cells do not respond properly to insulin, or both
Is Diabetes Common?
- 150 million people affected worldwide (in 2000)
- Expected 300 million people by 2025 (mostly in India and China)
- Can occur at any age, common in middle age (30 – 40 yrs)
What Is Optimum Blood Sugar Level?
|Fasting mg/dl||80-110||111-140||> 140|
|Fasting mg/dl||80-144||145-180||> 180|
Fasting Blood Sugar is measured when the patient has not eaten anything for the past 8 hours. This test is typically carried out first thing in the morning before the patient has had anything to eat. Post Prandial test is usually conducted after the patient has had something to eat.
What Is Insulin?
Insulin is a hormone produced by pancreas, an organ situated behind the stomach. It makes our body’s cells absorb glucose from the blood. The glucose is stored in the liver and muscle as glycogen and stops the body from using fat as a source of energy.
Insulin is the key which opens the door of the cells and allow sugar (glucose) to enter where it is utilized. When there is very little insulin in the blood, or none at all, glucose is not taken up by most body cells , sugar remains in the blood in high amounts.
Is Diabetes Serious?
Yes It Is! It works silently and is not a Mild Disease!
Do you know Untreated it will affect many vital organs of the body with serious consequences.
`It can cause multiple problems such as –
- Heart Attack
- Stroke Paralysis
Are You Having These Symptoms?
Be Aware! It can be Diabetes? Report to Doctor.
- Increased thirst, dry mouth
- Increased Hunger
- Increased frequency of urination especially in night.
- Recent change in weight
- Difficulty in vision(Blurred vision, Double vision, Cloudy vision, Floating spots in the visual field)
- Non-healing wounds